Conan Exiles Wiki:Wiki maintenance
Any questions, suggestions and feedback is appreciated. You may leave them on the talk page (See top menu, "Discussion"). Feel free to update this page when needed.
- Official Gamepedia Help Wiki - for answers on all your basic questions.
- Join us on Discord! - here we discuss game and wiki content. Learn from your fellow wiki contributors here.
State of Information[edit source]
The wiki relies on contributions by the community.
Noone is forced to work on the wiki. They should be able to enjoy real life, as well as the game itself. Contributors may at any time take a break from or quit contributing. We appreciate any contributions, so Be bold!
The wiki is very large. Since there is so much to contribute, we are not even close to covering everything.
Furthermore, the amount of active contributors which play the game, the interest in updating useful information on pages and how much we can and are able to auto-generate, data mine or pull from the DevKit limit us in how well we are able to keep information complete, up-to-date and comprehensive.
It is encouraged to not only check other sources besides the wiki, but to contribute to the wiki yourself -even if you do not know how to format the text, just use plain text- and to share any findings with us. This way, we are able to improve the wiki even if you are not actively contributing!
- TLDR: Anyone is able to contribute to the wiki and anything you find is welcome.
Some pages are auto-generated. The information shown is either correct or incorrect.
If we see anything remarkable, we report it to the developers. We do not always get answers, nor are we able to get everything addressed.
- If you see anything dubious, please let us know on the wiki channel in the Conan Exiles Wiki:Discord.
- was added by a bot. Information may have been wrongly distributed or interpreted.
- outcomes may differ in-game.
- comes from a database which has plenty of issues.
The data also
- includes bugs. Fingers crossed they fix them sooner than later.
- could be designers' or coders' choices to balance the game.
This information is often
- not updated by the most active editors, who focus on the backbone of the wiki. They may be more focused on editing the wiki than playing the game and some make sure auto-generated information is correct. They could also be busy in real life.
- not updated by most editors, who often focus on improving specific parts of the wiki or just want to fix something when passing by. (Descriptions, locations, small fixes for grammar etc.)
- added by contributors who play the game.
- may change drastically when a patch is released.
- Multiple pages could cover the same useful information, which may or may not de-motivate certain people from contributing. This is because doing the same work over and over is not considered to be very fun to do.
- added, changed and removed constantly by the developers to improve, balance and refine the purge and general gameplay.
- in most cases not correctly auto-generated at all.
- shared by other spawns, which we have not properly noted down yet.
This is also why we take breaks in updating the Purge Map. All the "knowledge" of the purge changes. The map becomes very unreliable and would need to be updated every single patch (ideally, but not preferably) until the purge is somewhat more smoothed out. There are few people who are able to maintain such a map and the coding behind it, let alone all the time. (yes, it takes time and effort. This could not be stressed enough)
Admins and modders have little time to update the wiki. We try to collect and stay on top of as many guides and useful links as possible and some drafts in the background, which have not been finished up.
Guides by the developers on new features may take a while to be made. We stay in touch with players, admins, modders and developers via the forums and discords to clarify any information in advance, but we have no guarantee we get everything we want to know right away.
What you can do[edit source]
- Be bold!
- If there is a note in the source editor (top menu, "edit source") saying a page is auto-generated, do not edit the Description.
- The Description is the in-game description. If a topic has no in-game description, feel free to expand on it or add your own.
- A Notes subsection is the safest place for your information!
- Automatically generated pages are pages maintained by a script which Testerle runs. This will overwrite any information added which is not part of the script, unless it's in a user-created subsection.
- Please add your information in a Notes subsection in this case. Just create it by adding "==Notes==", Preferably above Media, References, See also and the page categories, if they exist.
- Adding and suggesting any and all information for contribution. Or, a notice, when something is not added or (re-)verified etc.
- Verifying any and all information and adding or suggesting references for pages.
- (add <ref>link</ref> to a page to reference something)
- Verifying mainly needs to happen for all the Thrall information
- Asking if information is correct, whether or not you should add information, how to contribute to / edit the wiki etc.
- Adding any content to the Midnight Grove, Jhebbal Sag and Clan pages.
- Adding practical information (first, Usage or Notes subsection) to all pages basicly... mainly Tool and Dungeon pages. Additionally to any Item pages.
- Adding sources of food items to their respective pages from the creature page and adding what tool to use and on which creature a tool is best used.
- Adding useful armor information to the armors page or making a guide on armor uses from this reddit thread.
- Updating and improving the Building page (see on-page notice)
- (alternatively creating a Guide on it - see the Guide page on how to create a guide)
- Adding more Guides.
- Guides for Thrall behaviour (including scouting, feeding, fighting...)
- Modding and Server Configuration are also very welcome!
- A list of modding guides that already exist and may be used is provided in Modding/Useful links (linked on Modding page)
- Even generic roleplay ones, if not too specific.
- See also: Conan Exiles Wiki:Admin noticeboard for discussions and Category:Translations for translation documentation.
- Suggesting a translation (only if you want to contribute on it yourself) or contributing to existing translations
- If you want to help with any of these, or start a new one, just leave a reply here or a message on the discord (also linked in the left sidebar).
Existing non-main space translations (almost fully or only partially translated):
- Most translations are completed with auto-generated translations, as translations are unfortunately not actively contributed to. You're welcome to check these auto-generated translations and improve, update them etc.
Existing main space translations (main pages are not fully translated yet):
- Always license and categorize your images! For example add
- More images are always welcome!
- Some official media from the company / game site and other sources is still missing. This includes
- (Upcoming features is a generic 'side' project as there is constantly something to contribute.)
- Conan Exiles/Media, Funcom/Employees and Funcom#In the pipeline are documentation pages / sections started by TheLOLxd2, who also has several sandbox pages on their user page.
- Status effect could use some suggestions on how to efficiently use them on the wiki. - data is available.
- A list of plants with transparent renders (using eg. DevKit / JustHorse's mod / Blender) - not taken up by anyone yet.
To wikify an article is to format it using Wiki markup and to add internal links to related articles.
Another thing to do would be making sure the page is properly categorized.
Data mining[edit source]
Please read "State of information" at the top of this page, before proceeding to the below paragraph."
Item pages are automatically generated using a CE-specific branch of a UE4 data mining script, set up by Qowyn and a bot application connected to the wiki, executed by Testerle. Any errors with the data mining tools are either handled by manual correction, when they are an exception to the importing process, or brought to the developers' attention, when they are the result of game code. Those who own, host or maintain the tools used to update the wiki may not be approachable for questions or issues. The DevKit may be used to manually look up most, if not all the data provided through these tools.
The script is currently not being actively maintained. It has not been stated if maintenance will be re-initiated in the future.
Automatic updates for non-item pages have ceased; handling the extra workload without increased help is not possible.