Economics of Rocknoses
|Economics of Rocknoses|
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Pets can be used for two different things:
- Improving your combat skills by taking them with you or to let them protect your home
- To get Resources from them
This Guide focuses on the Pets that get you Resources.
The only pet that gives you another useful resource are:
- Gold-vein Rocknose for Goldstone (and Ironstone)
- Silver-vein Rocknose for Silverstone (and Ironstone)
- Greater Rocknose for Crystal and Ironstone
Basic requirements[edit | edit source]
- Build an Animal Pen. The basic version of it is good enough. It is prefered that you use other Animal Pens if you want to raise other pets then rocknoses to not mess up the process down below.
- Collect Gold. You should have around 250 Gold Coins and around 20 Gold Dust.
- To minimize problems it is advised to invest in one or more Preservation boxes
- You don't want to use the recipes with Shadeblooms, so there is no need for them.
Getting a Pet[edit | edit source]
Rocknoses exist only in their bigger forms throughout the world and can not just be collected like other baby animals. The only way to get a pet is to purchase a Rocknose Egg. Currently there is only one merchant who sells those eggs, namely Shawna the Strange. Take your Gold Coins and go to The Den. The other NPCs there are hostile and you might have to fight your way in. You can purchase multiple eggs from her, each egg costs 10 Gold Coins.
The eggs have a timer after which the egg transforms into a Pebblenose. You can wait a long time to let it hatch in your inventory or a chest or you use a Compost Heap to reduce the timer to a littler over an hour (precisely 1:11:00). But pay attention: If the timer has ticked down and your Pebblenoses are still in the compost heap, then it is very easy to lose them. The timer of the pepplenose might also be bugged. So set your clock, make stuff around your base and when the time is up take the Pepplenoses out of the compost heap. Otherwise all your invested Gold Coins will be wasted.
Getting a gold-vein Rocknose[edit | edit source]
Now you have an empty Animal Pen, up to five Pebblenoses at a time and the same number of Gold Dust. Make sure no resources are in the Animal Pen, put the Gold Dust into it and then the Pebblenoses. The Gold Dust disappears and in the bottom right corner icons should be visible with a very slow growing bar. It takes 6 hours to let the Pebblenoses grow into Rocknoses. This timer is not critical. Right after you placed everything, you can add a stack of stone, which is the resource the Rocknoses will use to produce what ever they will produce. Do something different and come back later.
After this you can repeat the process. Take out all "bad" Rocknoses, put in the missing number of Pebblenoses, add the same amount of Gold Dust and add a stack of stone. This way your existing Gold-vein Rocknoses stay on their production timer while new Rocknoses can grow up.
After some of these cycles you will eventually get an Animal Pen with 5 Gold-vein Rocknoses.
Details[edit | edit source]
Questions[edit | edit source]
There are some big questions:
- Which feed is the best and how much does it cost to get those 5 Rocknoses?
- How many eggs have to be purchased to get five Gold-vein Rocknoses (a full Animal Pen)?
- How long does it take to get the invested gold back?
- Is it worth it?
- Are there better ways to get gold and silver?
Premises[edit | edit source]
- To minimize rounding errors the goal is to get one Animal Pen full of Gold-vein Rocknoses.
- Gold-vein Rocknoses use up Stone as feed to produce Stone (80%), Ironstone (15%) and Goldstone (5%)
- Each cycle they turn 1 Stone into 1 Stone or 1 Ironstone or 1 Goldstone. 5 Rocknoses use and produce 5 times that amount.
- Each cycle takes 20 minutes.
Numbers / Mathematics[edit | edit source]
|Used Receipt||Gold Dust||Goldstone||Shadespiced Gold Dust||Shadespiced Gold|
|1 Gold Dust||1 Goldstone||1 Shadespiced Gold Dust
(40 Gold Dust)
|1 Shadespiced Gold|
| 1.00 Gold Dust
or 0.50 Gold Coin
or 0.10 Gold Bar
or 0.30 Goldstone
| 3.33 Gold Dust
or 1.67 Gold Coin
or 0.33 Gold Bar
or 1.00 Goldstone
| 40.00 Gold Dust
or 20.00 Gold Coin
or 4.00 Gold Bar
or 12.00 Goldstone
| 66.60 Gold Dust|
or 33.30 Gold Coin
or 6.66 Gold Bar
or 20.00 Goldstone
|5 Gold-vein Rocknose (Variant A)|
| Eggs needed
|25||50||19.23 -> 20||31.25 -> 32|
|20 Rocknose (Variant A)||45 Rocknose (Variant A)||15 Rocknose (Variant A)||27 Rocknose (Variant A)|
| 525.00 Gold Dust
or 262.50 Gold Coin
or 52.50 Gold Bar
or 157.66 Goldstone
| 1,167.00 Gold Dust
or 583.50 Gold Coin
or 116.70 Gold Bar
or 350.45 Goldstone
| 1,200.00 Gold Dust
or 600.00 Gold Coin
or 120.00 Gold Bar
or 360.36 Goldstone
| 2,771.20 Gold Dust|
or 1,385.60 Gold Coin
or 277.12 Gold Bar
or 832.19 Goldstone
|"Scrap"||472.98 Ironstone||1,051.35 Ironstone||1,081.08 Ironstone||2,496.57 Ironstone|
|profit for each
Chance of success
Eggs needed* (
10 Gold Coins per Egg+
Costs of feed per try)
Production cycles needed= ceil(
Costs [in Goldstone]) /
5% chance for 1 Goldstone/
Production time needed [in hours]=
Production cycles needed*
20 min per cycle/ 60 min
Conclusion[edit | edit source]
- Only the receipt with Gold Dust has a relative low price. The other three are a waste of resources.
- But even this way it takes at least to 300 hours on the game/map to start, build up the fully running Animal Pen and to get the investment back. Thats way too long.
- Even after this you get only 75 Goldstone (or ~250 Gold Dust or ~250 Alchemical Base) per 100 additional hours. Yes, it is passive income, but that is still way too long.
- That amount is collected with 1-2 runs for Obsidian ( Goldstone as byproduct) through the volcano with a good tool and heat protective armor or with 2-3 runs through the underwater-chests in the eastern waters (area at Buccaneer Bay and Forgotten City of Xel-ha). Both ways take about 1 hour of active playtime. That is way faster.
- For Silverstone the calculation is even worse. You have to put in almost the same amount of gold but get back the same bad passive income, this time in silver. But silver also collects from the chests in the eastern waters (as a "byproduct" to gold) and can easily be harvested near Sepemeru (Grid
- The main factor of the calculations is the time for one cycle. At 20 min it is very bad, at 2 min it could be profitable and at 2 sec it would be indeed "op"
References[edit | edit source]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnWajUt89GQ: "A Guide To Resource Pets Conan Exiles 2018 | Pet Taming Tips" from Firespark81. He came to a vastly wrong conclusion because of his admin commands.